Thank you for finishing the season with that push, Wings. It was incredible and exciting to watch and a playoff to remember. You brought it down to the wire and I can’t believe it’s over.

There’ll be a time for a post-mortem on the season and because there will be some negative comments in that, it’s not now. Right now, I’m proud of this team for not giving up down 3 games to none. So many things to be hopeful about came out of this series even with the disappointing end: Jimmy Howard, Pavel Datsyuk, Nik Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg. There’s plenty of reason to look forward to next season already.

I had a ton of fun watching the team this year with the Twitterati and you readers—thanks for your interactions and for being such great fans to learn from.

To the Sharks, I have nothing to say except that I hope the Canucks utterly destroy you. I don’t remember ever having less respect for the team that beat the Wings in the playoffs, except perhaps the 2007 Ducks. It’s still choking if it happens in the third round.

I don’t know that I’ll do a write-up on this game. You know how it went. I’ll put up some comments on the season in general at some point, but I’m not going to lie: playoff eliminations take the wind out of my blogging sails.

Filed under: 2010-2011, Playoffs

Comments

1. Andre in Chi says:

Here here! Well said. Thanks for another season of reading Matt.

2. Steve Klein says:

Good job this season, Matt. You put the icing on the cupcake … :)

3. zeh Ferreira says:

Yeah… That's the tone I'll use on my post tomorrow, just because that's the right feeling to have.

4. hockeychic says:

Thank you Matt for another great season. I just can't believe it is over. It stings a lot this morning.

Great following OTW in Game on Twitter – thank you for that too.

5. Guest says:

Fourth, just because Canadians invented the game doesn't mean that the best player has to be from Canada. PAVEL DATSUK is by far the best player in the game today.(Sorry Sid groupies). This guy has such game presence, puck sense, & such talent. That backhand goal was unbelievable. I am still shaking my head. & that shot to Niemi's facemask, that was Datsuk's intent. Pinpoint accuracy!!!

With a few tweaks here & there for next season, the Wings will contend again. A great ride but too bad it had to end. If only they could of scored on the PP.

With the Wings gone, there is not much for me to care. The Wings are the most entertaining team to watch. They play the game the way it should be played.

Enjoy your summer Matt, great work.

6. PeterPuck says:

Message to Bertuzzi, update your helmet to a 2011 model & tie your chinstrap up properly. You are not as tough as you think you are!!!!!

7. Mackster says:

When I watch the Sharks I can appreciate what a classy group of guys the Red Wings are. Thornton is just another Doan in my book and I hope the Sharks get obliterated by Vancouver. Thanks for all the great Red Wings hockey talk everybody and I sure hope the Red Wings return with at least some changes. I know what moves I would make but will only say that I hope Miller and Eaves return. I bought a new pair of Detroit "red" hockey gloves for hockey next season. LGRW

8. Chris says:

Great work this year Matt. This is the first blog I ever followed and got me into blogging.

Chris from NOHS.

9. theaks says:

thanks Matt… I happened upon your blog halfway through this season and I enjoyed reading you insightful and level headed perspectives. I believe that Rafalski and Draper, though game in the playoffs, should hang them up. As well, I believe Franzen is overrated and is very comfortable with 9 more years on his contract. And I firmly believe that Holland is wishing he didn't sign him that long term. Injury aside, he's still a soft and lazy player.
    Flashes of greatness are not enough from him. I deservedly dissed Ericsson on many occasions this year but felt he had a strong playoff. Might be a few long years ahead Wings fans, not sure we have strong enough talent in the system to remain close to the top. As for Pavel being the best in the world, I am a Canadian who resoundingly agrees. Though not "by far" as a reader suggested. Sid is still brilliant and his point totals through the games he played validates that.

10. As UGG boots sale is becoming more and more popular in the world, many people are eager to possess one pair. The different styles of coast dresses well satisfy different tastes of people and each style is going well with the coast dress you wear. Many UGG boots are long ones which are under your knees, but there are still many special designs for Winter boots. Sometimes, if you want to show your beautiful, evening dress must be your best choice. When you match it with Womens Ugg Boots, it will make you look thin and tall. On the other hand, if you wear a long women dresses , if will not make your legs look too short. http://www.ugg-bootssales.net/

11. As UGG boots sale is becoming more and more popular in the world, many people are eager to possess one pair. The different styles of coast dresses well satisfy different tastes of people and each style is going well with the coast dress you wear. Many UGG boots are long ones which are under your knees, but there are still many special designs for Winter boots. Sometimes, if you want to show your beautiful, evening dress must be your best choice. When you match it with Womens Ugg Boots, it will make you look thin and tall. On the other hand, if you wear a long women dresses , if will not make your legs look too short. http://www.ugg-bootssales.net/

12. As UGG boots sale is becoming more and more popular in the world, many people are eager to possess one pair. The different styles of coast dresses well satisfy different tastes of people and each style is going well with the coast dress you wear. Many UGG boots are long ones which are under your knees, but there are still many special designs for Winter boots. Sometimes, if you want to show your beautiful, evening dress must be your best choice. When you match it with Womens Ugg Boots, it will make you look thin and tall. On the other hand, if you wear a long women dresses , if will not make your legs look too short. http://www.ugg-bootssales.net/

13. As UGG boots sale is becoming more and more popular in the world, many people are eager to possess one pair. The different styles of coast dresses well satisfy different tastes of people and each style is going well with the coast dress you wear. Many UGG boots are long ones which are under your knees, but there are still many special designs for Winter boots. Sometimes, if you want to show your beautiful, evening dress must be your best choice. When you match it with Womens Ugg Boots, it will make you look thin and tall. On the other hand, if you wear a long women dresses , if will not make your legs look too short. http://www.ugg-bootssales.net/

14. As UGG boots sale is becoming more and more popular in the world, many people are eager to possess one pair. The different styles of coast dresses well satisfy different tastes of people and each style is going well with the coast dress you wear. Many UGG boots are long ones which are under your knees, but there are still many special designs for Winter boots. Sometimes, if you want to show your beautiful, evening dress must be your best choice. When you match it with Womens Ugg Boots, it will make you look thin and tall. On the other hand, if you wear a long women dresses , if will not make your legs look too short. http://www.ugg-bootssales.net/

15. As UGG boots sale is becoming more and more popular in the world, many people are eager to possess one pair. The different styles of coast dresses well satisfy different tastes of people and each style is going well with the coast dress you wear. Many UGG boots are long ones which are under your knees, but there are still many special designs for Winter boots. Sometimes, if you want to show your beautiful, evening dress must be your best choice. When you match it with Womens Ugg Boots, it will make you look thin and tall. On the other hand, if you wear a long women dresses , if will not make your legs look too short. http://www.ugg-bootssales.net/